Thursday, August 7, 2008

Life at Belle Vue









I have been living at Belle Vue , for two weeks now, slowly I am getting into a routine of going for my morning walk of a couple of laps around the compound with Bev....I have tried to stick to about 7000 steps on the walk and do a couple more laps in the evening with Vianney. This gives us time to chat about our day and to get some exercise in at the same time.

More family's and consultants have been arriving so the little group is growing....and with that all the teething problems of a new project get sorted out as we go along. It seems the major problem for us has been cars and driver assignments but the company is doing there best to accommodate everyone so it is all good.

This week on my walk I got to see how very lonely people are on the compound. Some of us are going to be here for 3-5 years and it is difficult in the beginning to make new friends find a dentist , doctor etc. I have taken it on my shoulders to try and form a support group for the lady's here at Belle Vue, by arranging our first Coffee Morning.....

A quick note on this I had about 15 woman turn up, it was fun, from teachers to a Child Psychologist , all with different views and hobby's. It was great to exchange information amongst ourselves and we will meet again next week.....

I have been helping the moms that do not have much English or French enroll there children at the International School (Jewels Int. School) just down the road from Belle Vue . Yesterday was the turn of a lovely Albanian Family that arrived just 3 days ago......We are turning out to be a great International Community.

Last weekend had some colourful moment . I found a hairdressing Salon downtown and a few of the consultants tried it out..first...So I thought the hairdresser had done a good job on them I would go with Vianney...you guessed....Yes something did go wrong.. we both got very short haircuts.. we look a bit like convicts in hiding. One good thing , hair grows....at least we know we can have our hair done here!

Sunday we where all invited to one of the Ministers Homes,who's wife works as an Office Manager for the company. She had tables beautifully set out in her garden . She had organised a lovely buffet lunch for about 50 guest . We had champagne for the celebration with a band playing music in the background...it was fun and different.

One of the dishes on the menu was stewed 'Mopani Worms'.... I passed on this dish, but some consultants where brave enough to try them and said they where good!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Edith, may I say a big thank you for your very informative blog. My husband is about to come out in the next few weeks.I have been trying to research info on what life is really like for when I join him. I look forward to hopefully meeting you - Yvonne

Edith said...

Hello Yvonne,
Thanks so much for your comment and glad I was of some help...you might like to read the blog that helped me before I came to Kinshasa..
http://congopit.blogspot.com

I look forward to meet you to , take care - Edith in DRC