Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Making a Home, buying African Arts




In this picture....the cushion covers, I am so proud of, the wooden elephant, there is a papa that comes around selling African art...so now I have to find a place for him...(he is a bit big for the table) that's the elephant...not the papa :)
The cloth is made by the Pygmy Tribe that live in the forest in the Kivu Province near the borders of Rwanda, if you would like to know more about the Pygmy's I discovered this link :http://www.pygmee.nl/pygmy_algemeen.html very intersting and they need support!

This week we found a little shop down town Kinshasa, where they sell beautiful materials with African Prints on , lamps and other products imported from Kenya. I fell in love with the beautiful beaded sandals, kokois and hand bags for sale. A great little find!!!

So the past week I have been using the sewing machine I brought along, sewing, curtains for the passage and cushion covers for the sofa....trying to get rid of the glitter that adorned the existing cushions ....just wanting to put my own stamp on the apartment to make it feel more like a home....
This lovely Jug statue I found at "Artisan Development"http://www.artisandevelop.com/
They have some lovely pieces and the wood work is really beautiful....we have ordered a table and some lamps from them , I cannot wait for them to come ......


No comments: