Thursday, January 15, 2009

MY Holiday Away From - KINSHASA






With great excitement I watched the days drawing closer for my trip back to Canada to be with my family for the holidays.
Vianney and I had planned to spend two day in Geneva but unfortunately that went very wrong….I still travel on a South African Passport something I hope will change in the near future when I get my Canadian Citizenship, to explain further,…On the day we booked our luggage in at the Memling Hotel downtown Kinshasa , I was told that just two days previously the visa requirements for South Africans travelling to Switzerland had changed.... I now needed a SchengenVisa to travel . The Swiss had just signed a new agreement with the rest of the EU countries. I was unaware of this and my travel agents did not inform me ...



With our bags ready to be checked in and not enough time to apply for a visa…. we had to go along with plan B….. I would remain in Kinshasa for two days .

It was just one of those things I had to accept. I was so disappointed that we where not leaving together but it turned out well, we met in “Paris” and flew to Montreal together. ( Kind of romantic) , the first time for me to be asked.........“Lets meet in Paris!”
The winter weather , when we landed in Montreal hit us with a blast, plenty on snow on the ground and a -18 C temperature. After the temperatures here in Kinshasa that is always at 30+ it was very fresh start to our holiday break, from T shirts to Coats…….

Dorianne our daughter got us tickets to watch the Junior Hockey Championships, in Ottawa and the teams playing was Russia vs. Slovakia…(8-1)… I really enjoyed my first ever live Hockey Game .


Our time with the family was very special the only complaint, far too short, now we are back to reality…… “Living in Kinshasa”………………….

No comments: