Friday, July 18, 2008

Things Move Slow !!







This week has gone by so quickly. Even though I did not have that much to do, things move slow in Africa, so it takes time to do thing.
In Africa one should have time and patients. I do have the time but after going to the South African Embassy four times in the past two weeks, to apply for a Maxi Passport my patients are slowly getting to the end!!!
I will persevere as I need a maxi passport for all the visa's I am collecting. One of the reasons I have had to go back is we do not have a permanent address here in the DRC....and the Embassy wants to be sure I still have SA citizenship. Thanks to Dorianne scanning and email I now have all the documentation I need. So I will be trying again next week.
We do have a vehicle and driver available to us when they are not busy with the Consultants it just takes a bit of planning to organise your day .
In the morning when Vianney goes off to work Bev and I get together to go for our morning walk it’s about 2km (enough to nearly do our 10 000 steps for the day). I do my French Lessons, Internet when it is working and some washing and that takes care of the morning.
I have just heard that Bev and Alan will be leaving the Hotel over the weekend to go to the attached houses in the compound so I will be minus my partner from Monday but will keep up the routine”
Well talk about things moving fast…shows you I should not talk to soon…As it happens we moved out of the Hotel on Sunday Morning. We have unpacked and settled in very well.
The name of the Complex is Belle Vue; they have row houses in an enclosed compound. We have 3 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, Toilet downstairs with an open plan Kitchen, salon and Dining Room. Little Garden outside so we have lots more space and feeling very much at home….
Went shopping yesterday to buy groceries….big surprise …things are very expensive here in Kinshasa…I paid US $750 for a very small trolley! Anyway we should be fine for the next few weeks; I must admit that shopping here is not one of my favourite things to do…We did manage to find everything we needed as it is imported from South Africa and Europe guess that is the main reason for the price we paid. It's great to see some good South African Wines on the shelf.
I intend to put more effort into my French and be fluent by the time I go home to Canada, on that note let me get back to some studying!

No comments: